Monday, August 27, 2007

First day of classes

Yesterday was the first day of classes, and it went reasonably well. I had four classes- Intercultural Studies, American and British Literature, Statics, and Marriage and Enrichment. Intercultural Studies will be interesting- it's with the boisterous black man, and I feel like I need to be sedate just to cancel out his undue enthusiasm. American and British literature shouldn't be too bad- I'm the one native english speaker in the class, so I feel like I have a leg up there. Statics is going to be very, very difficult. I am taking it as an attempt- I didn't know when I decided to come that it is a calculus based class- and I haven't had any calculus. I am going to rely heavily on the other LETU students in the class for this one. Marriage and Enrichment will have a lot of good interesting material in it- if I can manage to stay awake. Aside from the gems of humor from the teacher(he got engaged on the first date), it was pretty boring. Hopefully the other 16 weeks will have less monologue and more discussion.

I have one other class- although whether or not it will actually be a class it not yet determined. It's a higher-level engineering class called "Reinforced Concrete Engineering" which a dork like me thought would be really neat to take. I signed up for it, apparently Handong has never heard of prerequisites, 'cause I got in. I went to talk to the professor and shared my misgivings about being able to do the classwork, but also expressed my topical interest. He was very nice, encouraged me to come to class and decide for myself if I could handle it. He let me have a look at the book he uses. I certainly am not qualified to take the class, but I think I'll give it a shot nonetheless. If I find that I can't hack it, I will simply audit the class, which means to sit in on it and do my best to learn the material without taking tests or turning in work.

My sleep schedule is a bit off at the moment- it's 3:49AM here and I just woke up. Last night I didn't get to sleep until almost 2AM- night-owl roommates and heat. I had a class at 8:30, so I didn't get all that much sleep, and I was running low on sleep reserves anyway. Today my last class finished about 6. I came back, ate some dinner*, watched an episode of Top Gear and decided to read. I don't have any homework yet. Reading turned into sleeping- so I went to bed around 8:00 I guess. I ought to go back to bed, I suppose. Goodnight!

*There was a welcome dinner for the International Church two nights ago with chicken(American style!) and pizza(American style!). They had lots of leftovers, we were encouraged to take some home. This is what I've been eating recently, rather than going to the dining hall.

P.S. It's 90% humidity right now. GOOD LORD it's so humid!

1 comment:

  1. Ned you rock! Miss you bro. Glad to hear things are accordingly interesting for you & reeally stoked to see this blog updated so often!!

    ReplyDelete