Friday, November 16, 2007

I made banana nut bread.

And it is delicious. I was sitting in Marriage and Enrichment last week and the thought popped into my head: "banana nut bread is delectable". I wanted to make some, or at least eat some. I later mentioned this to the I-house director (Young), and it clicked- I-house was having an event (Open Mic Night) and had to make some baked goods. I volunteered to make some banana nut bread. So last night I helped Young and Mary make some confectionery- in addition to banana nut bread we made some cookies that ended up being topped with a a fudge project gone wrong. I used a recipe off of the internet which turned out fairly well. Walnuts were expensive so I had one of my minions pick nuts out of some trail mix that Young had instead.

I made 3 loaves, which turned out to be a lot more than I anticipated. This took 10 cups of flour, 15, bananas, lots of sugar and other stuff. There's only one real oven on campus(in the faculty apartments laundry room) because Korea loves cooktops instead of ranges because they're more compact. It was graduated in Celsius rather than Fahrenheit, and even knowing the conversion I think I had it turned up to hot. The edges of the loaves were slightly burnt, and somewhat dry. All in all, I was quite happy with how they turned out.

The event went pretty well- it was an open mic night and the International Cafe was packed out. A good time was had by all.

No comments:

Post a Comment